A Rare 1 inch gauge Hawthorn live steam locomotive surfaces in Hampshire
One of the earliest scale model locomotives to come to the market will be offered in our auction on February 7th and 8th 2017
The model is an extremely rare mid 19th century 1 inch gauge exhibition quality scale model live steam ‘Hawthorn’ 0-4-2 locomotive and tender, built by Thomas James of Hartlepool and completed in 1851, the 5 1/4 inch wheels with full link motion, representing the full size Stephenson patent type of 1833 – 1846 built by R & W Hawthorn, Newcastle. The model is presented in green/black/maroon livery, the front funnel bearing a number ‘4’, an engraved brass builders name-plates to each side ‘Thos. James’ and ‘T James, Hartlepool 1851’, the well detailed brass, steel and iron model fitted with leather and horsehair front buffers and spring loaded rear buffers, later converted to compressed air and measures One metre long.
Interestingly, R & W Hawthorn exhibited a full size locomotive at The Great Exhibition of 1851, it is highly probable this scale model was built for Hawthorns, the models builder Thomas James being one of the companies engineers of the time and was originally mounted on a rolling road type track for live steam static display (archive photographs depict this) although the track has not survived.
Consigned to us with impeccable provenance, direct from the collection of Henry Greenly (1876-1947) widely regarded as one of the foremost miniature railway engineers of the 20th century. Greenly founded ‘Model Railway & Locomotives Magazine’ with W J Bassett-Lowke (1909) and was designer and Chief Engineer of the Romney, Hythe & Dimchurch Railway, Kent. A respected and acknowledged engineer, designer, writer, publisher.
This model locomotive features in many of Greenly’s published works including ‘Model Steam Locomotives’, pub. 1922, p.17 fig. 18a, also discussed and illustrated in an article in ‘The Model Engineer & Practical Electrician’ January 24th 1935, in which R & W Hawthorn and historians concur, this model is based on and known as a Stephenson’s patent engine of 1833, the full sized version probably for a Tyneside railways operator, although factory records of the period 1840’s / 1850’s were destroyed by fire hence the early history is lost/unknown. Both the above books and a facsimile of the article are included with the train.